Anyone who works at height in any place, including a place at or below ground level, is required to undertake training to prove that they are competent and safe in their work.
It is the employer’s duty to ensure that this training is provided: Regulation 5 of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 states that employers must ensure all employees engaged in any work at height activity must be competent to do so. This includes, but is not limited to, professions such as;
- Gutter cleaning.
- Solar panel installation.
- Putting up displays.
- Minor roof work.
- Shelf stacking.
- Window /general cleaning.
- Unloading a vehicle.
- Machine maintenance.
The ladders and steps course is covered over 4 hours and aims to assess and determine when it is appropriate to use ladders and stepladders.
The course will cover:
- Pre-use examination of ladders and stepladders
- Legal requirements and guidance
- Work at height regulations
- Planning and organising, selecting and using
- Assessing risks
- Pre-use inspection procedures
- Theory and practical test